Sunday, June 1, 2014

Police on the Move and Other News

Police Move to Alfreda Schmidt Community Center

The move and the finances to pay for the move was passed by Council, 6 - 2. Carol Wood voted no stating she did not find it to be a financially sound decision.  I voted no for different reasons.

The LPD has been housed at the North Precinct for 15 years.  After much negotiation and back and forth between the Bernero Administration and H Inc., it was decided that the LPD would not stay at the North Precinct. Unfortunately, Council did not find out about the move until it had already been decided and the lease may have already been signed with the Lansing School District.  Knowing that there was no way that the administration was going to remain at the North Precinct, I met with officials from the administration and asked that they leave a small presence at the Motor Wheel location. H Inc. eventually offered the space free of charge.  I was told that keeping a police presence at the Motor Wheel location was a possibility.  When it came time for the vote, there was no mention of keeping any presence on the North Side. I heard from hundreds of constituents in the 1st Ward, as well as many business owners in Old Town.  I could not and would not be a yes vote to moving the LPD, when I knew it was not the wish of my constituents and no firm information existed regarding keeping a presence in the ward.  Had council been told of the plans earlier, I believe we could have negotiated a win/win for everyone.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.  The other Council members wanted the precinct moved.

Ingham County Sheriff Patrol

City Council approved going into contract with the Ingham County Sheriff's Department to have them spend some hours (about four) patrolling some of our secondary roads for traffic violations.  They cannot make arrests.  This came before the Public Safety Committee two years ago, at a time when LPD officers were being laid off.  At that time, the Chair of the committee chose not to bring the matter out of committee.

I am now the Chair of the Public Safety Committee, and times have changed.  We are no longer laying off officers.  I requested input prior to making the decision to move the matter out of committee and onto the floor.  I am sensitive to the concerns of the outlying communities that depend on the Sheriff Department for their public safety services.  But, I don't represent the outlying areas, I represent you. Also, I am sensitive to the needs of our officers.  I have conversations with the Fraternal Order of Police to ensure that passage of this would not affect our officers negatively.  I also had conversations with County Commissioners to include their input.

I moved the matter forward and voted yes because I believe this is a good thing for Lansing.  Lansing residents pay county taxes and should benefit from their county tax dollars.  Further, I represent the city of Lansing and I must vote with Lansing in mind.  The concern of the outlying areas is not my battle to fight.   This must still be approved by the County Commissioners before anything takes place.

A target area will be the Kalamazoo Avenue and Pennsylvania intersection.

Soon To Come

Abigale Project: Low income development to take place in the large building on the grounds of the old School for the Blind.  I have huge concerns regarding this matter and will discuss later this week.

Ball Park Project: The Council will vote on matters concerning the building of the apartments behind the ball park.

Hope Soccer: Will the operators be allowed to sell liquor at the soccer complex?

Until Tuesday......

No comments:

Post a Comment