Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Committee of the Whole: About the Abigail Project

I think this council meeting must have been one of the shortest on record. There wasn’t much on the agenda, and Jessica and Tina had excused absences. 

COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE (COW)

Dorothy Boone and a representative for the developer came to COW to answer any questions regarding the payment in lieu of taxes for the proposed Abigail project (former School for the Blind). They would like to pay 4% for the PILOT rather than the typical 10%, because they feel that this would give the project a greater chance of success. 

Several councilmembers had many questions regarding the clientele of the proposed housing project, which would consist of 33 units for low income and affordable housing, and 11 units for support system individuals. These individuals would be homeless, potentially homeless, people with mental disabilities, etc. Also, they are not requesting historical credits which would ensure the façade would remain historically correct. 

I voiced my opposition to this project. I believe this is the wrong project for this property. The property is a huge piece of land with this building sitting in the middle. I do not think this is the place for a large low income, affordable housing project. Willow Vista is directly across the street from this building. The neighborhood is fragile and could decline easily. And most of all, I am vehemently opposed to segregating the poor in large housing projects, where other low income housing projects already exist, in fragile or challenged neighborhoods. I was told by the developer’s representative that the people that would live in this project are "probably already living in some slum" down the street.  This made my point about it already being a fragile neighborhood.

My opposition does not stem from the fact that I think these folks are not good enough for affordable housing—quite the contrary. I care deeply about the housing opportunities for the lower income population.  I believe in inclusion zoning, which mixes affordable housing in conjunction with market rate housing. Further, I believe it is time that we take a regional approach to low income and affordable housing. Lansing has many, many units of low income and affordable housing.  This housing should be dispersed throughout the region to give these folks different opportunities. To segregate our low income population in struggling neighborhoods with struggling schools only exacerbates and perpetuates the situation in which they find themselves. 

I would prefer to see dollars spent to upgrade existing homes in neighborhoods scattered throughout the city and the region. Also, if we have substandard housing, it is high time we get serious about going after the landlords that allow people to live in homes that they would not live in themselves.

I cannot in good conscience ever approve of segregating or warehousing an entire portion of our population, especially under these circumstances.

As this is a topic that we have had some folks come down and support, I believe it is necessary that I state my opinion on the matter. I respect and understand the other side of this issue, and I believe folks came at it with a pure heart. As I respect their position, I hope others can respect mine.


Jody

No comments:

Post a Comment