Sunday, June 8, 2014

June 1st Contact Wrap-Up

First, I want to thank everyone who took the time from their beautiful Saturday mornings to attend our 1st Contact Meeting.  I can’t begin to tell you how much I appreciate folks at these meetings, sharing what's on their minds. 

Outfield Stadium Project

We had quite a lively discussion regarding the Outfield Stadium project.  It seems there is quite a bit of excitement surrounding the project.  This is a new and innovative project that is getting national attention.  We were able to have some discussion regarding the market need for more apartments in downtown Lansing.  What I was able to share is that the Stadium District is 97-100% full at all times.  The Prudden Place Project is 97-100% full at all times, as is The Avenue Loft project.  The Market Place project is not finished, and 19 of the 88 units are already leased.  Further, roughly 18 of the 60 units of the Mid Town Project area also already leased.  The last two projects are not even finished.  I think this clearly shows that we have the market for this type of housing in downtown Lansing.

Parks

I had the opportunity to discuss the lack of mowing in our parks.  Apparently, we are having issues with some of the contract people, and we are behind schedule.  The attendees asked if there would be a problem with residents taking it upon themselves to tend to some of the parks in their area.  I assured them that I saw no problem with it.  I know the people around Cavanaugh Park took it upon themselves to beautify that park.  I always think it is a good idea when people of the city pitch in and just take care of some things that they notice.

Allen Neighborhood Center

There will be a presentation on home ownership at the Allen Neighborhood Center's Active Neighboring Cafe on June 14 from 10 a.m-noon.  There are more than 80 homes for sale on the east side.  This will be a presentation and resource fair on buying a home on the east side.  This is going to be a very cool presentation, and I would strongly encourage folks to contact Denise at 367-2468 or at denisep@allenneighborhoodcenter.org.

Chores for me

This is one of the best things that come out of the meetings.  I have the opportunity to listen to constituents and find out what is happening in their neighborhoods.  This month, the constituents have given me several items for which they would like to see action.


Rest assured, I am on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment