Sunday, January 4, 2015

Happy 2015--Here's What's In Store

As we enter into the new year, we all take a moment to reflect on past accomplishments. I have to say for the 1st Ward, we have had many accomplishments. I will take this time to highlight just a few things as there are too many to mention all at once.

First, we began last year with the infamous ice storm.  Although it was unpleasant, the city came through victorious.  A team was developed, a plan was crafted, and we are all the better for it.  Thankfully, we did not begin 2015 in the same manner!

Although the breakdown of the Lansing Neighborhood Council was disheartening to many of us, I saw the leaders of our neighborhoods in the 1st Ward step up, join hands, and accomplish their missions, all while encouraging one another and sharing resources.

We have seen the deal signed between the developers and the city regarding the Red Cedar Project.  This is particularly exciting to me.  I want this project to go forward (of course, responsibly), because I get a little nervous as I see all the development surrounding us.  I do, however, have faith in our business leaders and our city. 

The Market Place behind the City Market has been built.  There are finishes that need to be completed, but there are actually people living in these apartments.  The colors have been quite controversial.  I for one really like the style and the uniqueness.  I enjoy seeing something different, because all the same brick was beginning to look just like every other city I visit.  It’s just my opinion, and heaven knows I am not any kind of a design expert!

Much work was done in collaboration with the Lansing Police Department and a group of residents regarding prostitution, which is a city-wide issue. We mustn't think this issue is unique to our ward. I’d like to express a special thanks to Theresa Moore and Denise Kelley for working with us on this issue.  Not only were we able to work on the local issues, but the LPD was also able to crack a human trafficking group in our city.  This is a topic that will need to be worked on shortly into the new year.

The medical marijuana issue came to a head once again.  We now have several dispensaries operating illegally.  No dispensary is legal.  We have turned a blind eye to the operations up to this time.   As chair of the Public Safety Committee, I spent much of the year working on tweaking our ordinance so we'd have a cap on the amount of dispensaries.  I believe two to three dispensaries per ward is plenty.  The dispensaries could be strategically placed so that they are accessible to all that use them, but not be a glut in any one area.  I would like to see them disallowed on Michigan Avenue.  

I will most likely not be the chair of the Public Safety Committee in 2015.  I have gathered all my information from committee and will be passing a binder on to the next chair so they can hit the street running on the very important issues that have come up in Public Safety.

Sparrow will begin building its cancer center at the site of the former Bingham Elementary School.  I am grateful for Sparrow’s commitment to the City of Lansing.  I will continue to meet with them so that we can be assured all development is in the best interest of everyone.

We will be electing new leadership for council on Monday.  I have no idea how this will play out.  I am staying out of the fray.  I will be as surprised as you!  I am sure that whomever is elected will do a fine job.

Here’s to 2015--I believe it will be our best year yet!

--Jody

No comments:

Post a Comment