Wednesday, January 7, 2015

2105 Council Leadership

Another year of leadership elections are complete.  Our process with leadership is no different than that of what goes on in Washington D.C., or our state government--it can get tense at all levels.  On the floor, I voted no for both of these individuals.  As I promised when I began this blog, I am going to explain my vote.

I was not opposed to Mr. Quinney being president of council or Ms. Houghton being vice president of council.  (In fact, it was me who suggested Ms. Houghton step up and seek the vice president position.  At that time, however, I didn't think the individual that would be president might leave within 30 days.)  I was just opposed to the two of them serving together.  Mr. Quinney has applied for the job of Ingham County Register of Deeds.  The position would begin in February.  Since Mr. Quinney is certainly a worthy candidate for that position, that would mean that there could be a possibility of him leaving in February and Ms. Houghton being moved up to president.  I was not comfortable, at least for this year, with Ms. Houghton taking over the position of president of council as she has never had a leadership position on council before.  

I believe there is much to be learned by sitting in the vice president position first.  So, having said that, I want to reiterate that I was not opposed to the individuals having the positions--only with the possibility of the president leaving and the vice president not being prepared to take over that role so quickly.  I stated my position on this with both Mr. Quinney and Ms. Houghton from the beginning of them wanting to share this slate.  I voted no on both of them, because I didn't want to vote yes on one and no on the other, when I didn't have a problem with either of them individually-- only as a team.

We have used the democratic process to elect our leadership and the process worked.  It is my hope that you all will join me in congratulating President Quinney and Vice President Houghton!  It is a new year and I am looking forward to working with my colleagues and all of you for a prosperous and eventful 2015!


--Jody

No comments:

Post a Comment